Thursday, April 30, 2009

6th

dross
Source sentence: Every time you work, you have to do it all over again, to rid yourself of this dross.

Context: Really, I don't have a clue.

Definition: something that is base, trivial, or inferior

Original Sentence: The sword smith knew nothing of dross being associated with his superior swords.

badinage
Source sentence: Wise advisers did not exchange badinage with such redoubtable characters!

Context: Small talk

Definition: light, playful banter or raillery.

Original Sentence: The badinage between the two children turned out to be the start of a lifelong friendship.

Pithy
Source sentence: Pithy sentences are like sharp nails

Context: So short that I will have to just guess, true criticism.

Definition: having substance and point

Original Sentence: When critiqued about his paper, the boy felt the pithy of their remarks and had nothing to say in return.



1 Thank Mary many times tomorrow.
2 Help my gimpy sister around the house.
3 Contemplate whether I should buy a banquet ticket or not.


In stagecraft with Jim Book, the final project is something we must draft ourselves, get signed off, and then build. I see the other classmates building simple boxlike furniture they will use at home and using our skills we have acquired from Jim. I see the simplicity and find myself seeing that as not expressing the extent at which I can express myself. So the first problem presents itself and a whole day of indecisiveness goes by with no show of progress. The next class comes around I decide to build a birdcage. I put the pencil to the paper and find that building a birdcage is something that is probably more than I can chew. By the end of the day I have a visualization and no progress, even more so that I am probably the only one not done drafting, and even more so the idea of the project gets more and more elaborate as time passes. At some point I need to stop and compromise with reality and just get it done. I look back and it has been this way with many of the projects I have done in the past. What is it that I need to fix, or do I even need to fix that? Sometimes I am thankful for my indecisiveness because I am thankful for the outcome I have achieved, but sometimes it gets me into trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment